Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Freeport Companion: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Edition

One of the books I just got was new companion for the Freeport setting that gives rules information for the Pathfinder RPG.  I've been a fan of the Freeport setting from the start and while I've yet after 11 years had the chance to run a game in the setting, in particular the original classic trilogy, I know I want to someday.  Given that most of the Freeport products are written using D&D 3E as the rules engine, and given PF is just an update to 3E, I figured the companion book I wanted for my Pirate's Guide to Freeport is the PF edition.  So what did I get?  This is a 175 page perfect bound book that talks about how to use the PF races and classes in the Freeport setting.  On top of that it adds five new core classes, an NPC class (the cultist), and five prestige classes.  That's a nice amount of crunch and options when combined with Paizo's PF classes and prestige classes in the core book, Advanced Players Guide, etc.  But wait, there's more.  This book also has rules for firearms in PF, since guns and pirates go together like rum and coke.  It has 48 pages of NPC stat blocks, a combination of generic thieves, pirates, merchants, etc. and a bunch of named inviduals from the campaign setting.  Lastly, the book has some beasts and an adventure, Fury in Freeport.  That's a lot and all of it combined makes for a book you really must have if you plan to run Freeport using the PF rules.  Are there negatives?  Yes, but they're cosmetic ones so far in my reading.  Recycled art including the same cover as the Pirate's Guide.  The book is all black and white inside, again with a lot of recycled art.  The map of the city hurts in particular by not being in color.  At an MSRP of $27.95 the price is up there with a lot of smaller full color hardbacks from WotC and others.  Still, I give this product four out of five pieces of eight.

1 comment:

  1. As with a lot of good game books these days they are chock full of good content but often production value leaves something to be desired. To charge top dollar we need color people! Haha.

    Still, can you really put a price on awesome pirate themed RPG action? Me thinks not says I.

    ReplyDelete