Monday, March 21, 2011

Classic adventures

I have a large number of roleplaying game supplements starting with the first D&D adventure I ever purchased back in the early 1980s, X5 Temple of Death.  Back in those days we started originally playing using the 1981 Moldvay/Cook version of Basic and Expert on the living room coffee table after school.  I recall us playing B2, B3, B4 and X1 with that first campaign and set of characters.  We later played more first edition AD&D.  Looking back now it's really clear to me, that what defined the experience those days were the TSR adventures we all played.  There weren't 100 supplements with extra races, classes and spells.  There weren't dozens of published campaign settings.  But there were these iconic adventures with memorable encounters, great new monsters, and great villains.  Do you recall fighting Zargon?  Remember facing off against Strahd Von Zarovich?  Plundering the depths of the pyramid in Pharaoh?  I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment